Friday, August 22, 2014

Grandmother's Chicken Pot Pie - Old fashion



Grandmother's Chicken Pot Pie - Old fashion

I remember when my Grandmother made this recipe for me when I was little. I just starred through the oven glass window and my mouth just watered, just could not wait for this dish.

So when it came out bubbly hot, I still had to wait another 20 mins for it to cool down. It was one of the best meals that I remember in my life, for it was done in the old fashion way. Of course she used a variety of only fresh veggies from her garden and I will not tell where she got the chicken from, (now I did not help her on that part). Everything was done from scratch but was it ever good.

I started to help her in the Kitchen from the age of 8 and many nights we cooked into the night to get things ready for the next day because she also cooked for some restaurants for ready-made foods for them to just heat and serve. How I wish that I could return back to those days and tell her how my Love of Cooking started with her. Every time I cook, I know she would be proud.

Anyways please enjoy and let me know how yours turned out.


*******************************************************************************************************

Recipe; 

1 Lbs. -  Chicken breast

1 Pkg. - Your favorite frozen Veggies or fresh.
1 Med. - Onion
1 to 2 Tbsp. - Cooking oil
2 to 3 Tbsp. - Butter
1/2 Cup - Whole milk
2 Tbsp. - All purpose flour
1 Cube - Chicken stock
1 Tsp. - Thyme

Salt and Pepper to taste.

Alternatives;

1/3 Cup - Cream instead of milk
Add - 1 Tsp. Rosemary
Add - 1/3 Cup - Corn


For more information, please see Video below. 


*******************************************************************************************************



I know, I know that here I was using frozen veggie's. It's because I want this to be a fast and simple dish without all the work of cutting up all the different vegetables. Think about it, you have so many different combinations that you can make this in many ways. 


Of course if you have the time then you can always use the fresh stuff and it will still turn out to be the best pie you ever made. 




When using frozen vegetables it's important to let the water reduce to about around 25 % so your veggies do not become soggy and wet tasting. Also in this way your other  ingredients will blend into your recipe better and give you a better and more full flavor. 






Here I was using skinless chicken breast but there is really no reason why you could not use any part of the chicken. Just remember to remove the skin and  remove all the meat away from the bones.


A good idea is to make a broth out of the chicken bones with some onions, carrots, celery, and  add that to your pie.




I like to make my own pie crust, but if you are pressed for time or you are a little nervous about making it, you can always find it pre-made the the Grocery Store. 

Go ahead and make your life a little easy, but do not tell anyone where the dough came from. 






Here I did the top dough sealing with two different  methods. 

One.  I very lightly pinch the dough edges and then seal them with a fork to get a good seal. 

Two. I roll the bottom dough into the top covering and then just tuck it into a roll. In this way I get a good solid seal that will not split when it bakes. 

Remember to add air holes to the top covering.



*******************************************************************************************************



Grandmother's Chicken Pot Pie - Old fashion
Video


Please share with your Family and Friends, below; 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...