Monday, December 30, 2013

Walt Disney Baked Turkey Legs - Party Time




Walt Disney Baked Turkey  Legs  -  Party Time


I remember  going to Walt Disney world for the first time and  I kept seeing  a lot of people  walking around  with this large  chicken leg, it had to  an ostrich leg for it was too big, I really never seen anything like it. At this time I did like to cook and was just getting started in culinary School , so  to me that was a strange and  weird thing they were eating.

Well  I managed to track it down to these little  tiny booths and the lineup was crazy.  So in line I went, grabbed one and to my surprise they were really  nice,  juicy, smoky and   tender .  Never at that time would I guess it was a turkey for their meat is mostly  dry and bland, but it was out of this world.

I grabbed  my leg and walked down the pathway  and munched  on it like untamed animal for  I was enjoying it too much, I ‘am now ashamed to say that I had about two a day and  every time I return to the park, I would  go straight  to the booth  and  grab one.

I really hope that you will enjoy my recipe here, for I have to say it comes very close to the ones selling in the Disney Theme Park . I have returned to the Park about  eight  times, boy ! that’s a lot of turkey legs.


Try them  “Mickey”   would be proud…..:)  

*************************************************************************************************************

Recipe.....

3  Lg. Turkey legs

Brine
 Water to cover legs
1/4 Cup or less - Salt
3 Tbsp - Sugar
1 Tbsp. - Hp, Worcester sauce or Margie.
Alternative - Add liquid smoke

1 Tbsp - Olive oil per leg
1 Cube - Veggie, chicken stock


Smoke 
1/2 Cup rice
1/2 Tbsp. - Sugar
1 Tbsp. - Cooking oil

Bake on a rack with aluminum foil on the bottom of the pan with 2 Tbsp of the smoke mixture and add more  to it during the baking to create more smoke.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 mins., and turn them around about half way through. Then bake at 200 degrees for anywhere from 45 mins to 1 hour, turning them around at least once.  


*************************************************************************************************************



Make sure that you mix the brine solution very well and have the  legs completely under the waterline. At this point you can add "liquid Smoke " to it if you prefer and that will give you a stronger smoke taste.









This mixture of rice will burn off and give you a smoke taste to the legs, not as good as a smoker but the taste is not far behind. I know some add wood chips to the bottom of the pan to produce the smoke, and I'am sure it's a good idea but I do not want any wood burning in my oven, I just do not trust the method.






So easy to eat and serve. Add a piece of foil to the bottom drum and off you go walking down the street with everyone looking at you and asking where did you get that from. The perfect portable food.









Well  I just could not wait for my Friends to come over for a get together. This turkey leg was just asking me for a bite and  "I could not resist". Anyways   I did not show it on the video but I had another three in the fridge  ready to go.









Now how did this get here ? 
*************************************************************************************************************


Walt Disney Baked Turkey  Legs  -  Party Time
Video


Please share with your Family and Friends below; 

11 comments:

  1. Tried this today. Definitely NOT enough time in the oven. After an hour turned the temp to 400 and left it in for another 40 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I know some like it a little more done and as for me I like it to be juicy and tender in the inside. Now my oven has a fan and that makes it done faster, the problem is that giving out a temperature setting is hard because all ovens are different, for is it electric, gas and/or does it have a fan.

    The important thing is that you got it done, and that makes my day..:)

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I will be prepping today. I can't wait to eat this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You stated that the marinade is 1 tablespoon of oil PER TURKEY LEG. Does that apply for the bouillon cube as well?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will try it today for Thanksgiving and I'll let you know how it went, but your recipe sounds good, so I'll give it a try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you mention Worcestershire sauce or HP, or Margie. My question is what is Margie? I tried looking it up but all I found was meaning a name.
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margie is the worcestershire sauce used in Europe...:) If you want to try it, find the Polish areas in you City and they will have it...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I had a virtual Disney weekend, and we made your turkey legs for part of the celebration. These were fantastic! It's an unusual recipe, but it turned out perfectly. We added the Liquid Smoke, and went with those directions instead of the rice, so people should know that it turns out great that way as well. Thank you so much for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...