Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Old Fashion Beef Stew - One Pot Dish



Old   Fashion  Beef Stew - One Pot Dish


This old fashion beef stew is one of my favorites,  a great  Family pleaser,  really filling and satisfying .  Some like to make the sauce a little more  watery and that’s all good, but I think that a stew should be hearty and thick so it can stick to your ribs, a working man’s soup.  Really anyway you make it, I know it will turn out awesome..  

So easy to make, all in one pot. Try it in a slow cooker  and  just set it and forget it, it wouldn't  it great to come home on a winters day to this awesome stew. Your Family will all love it.


Try it and let me know how it turned out. 


*************************************************************************************************************

Recipe 

1 Lbs. - Beef.

4 Med. - Potatoes
1 Cup - Celery
1 Med. - Onion
2 Med. - Carrots
3 Tsp. - All purpose flour
1 to 1 1/2  cube - Beef stock
1 Cup - Tomato juice
1 Tsp. - Tomato paste
2 - Bay leaves

 Salt and pepper to taste

Options;
 1/2 Cup - Tomato sauce instead of juice



*************************************************************************************************************




You can really use any kind of meat from a top grade to a lower budget cut. Now here I was using medium grade beef sirloin filets because I like the faster cooking time of the stew and  I also like to have the beef cut in smaller pieces. Anyway you dice it I am sure that it will turn out just great.







Make sure that you coat and brown the beef on all sides so it can have all the juices locked in and not diluted in the stew. Also I would  not remove the beef from the pot because all that extra flour will help make your stew more thick. I would also do this if I was going to use a slow cooker, because just throwing the meat in makes it too soggy and mushy and that for me would not make me happy.





If you use a low budget cut of beef, then after the browning process I would  let the beef simmer for about  20 mins more or to the point that the beef is a bit more softer before you add the vegetables. In this way the beef will be soft and the veggies will not be overcooked or too soft.







To get a more thick and hearty stew I used a a starchy potato and gave it a few more minutes of cooking time to get that thick creamy liquid. If you want it more watery than I would advise you use a more firm potato (french fry type)  and stop the cooking right up to the point of your fork penetrating into the potato.  Either Way it will be out of this world.






I really hope that you will try this dish and let me know how it turned out and if you added something your way. 
*************************************************************************************************************


Old   Fashion  Beef Stew 
Video



Please share with your Family and Friends below;  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...