Sunday, September 4, 2011

Pimento Paste - Hot pepper base



Pimento Paste - Hot pepper base 

Since I could not find any ready made Pimento sauce here in Poland, I made my own. Pimento Paste. Just adds a rich and full flavor to all your dishes, just awesome with meat, poultry, fish, seafood and sauces.... Simple to make and keep. I used it for my shrimp and octopus recipes  here on my videos.Just like the one from the Azores.


I remember my Mother and Grandmother collecting these peppers from the backyard garden and filling up the basket with them. Then off to an outside cast iron pot outside that was under a roaring fire. All the family joined in washing, peeling and  cutting them up to be grinded up, by the hand grinder.

I really miss those days, but I still follow her recipe that brings me back to a taste of home and those long ago days. I hope that you will enjoy this and please let me know how you used it.


*********************************************************************************************************


Recipe: 



 Pepper Base                                                             Scale Hotness  0 to 10


Super  Hot                                                                          09 to 10 
2 Lbs. ( 1 kilo) - Hot red peppers (Banana type)            
0 - Red Sweet peppers
1 to 2 Tbs. - Kosher salt
3 Tbsp. - Olive oil

Very Hot 
2 Lbs. (1 Kilo) - Hot red peppers (Banana type)                 07 to 08
1/3 Lbs ( 300 Grams) Red Sweet peppers
1 to 2 Tbs. - Kosher salt
3 Tbsp. - Olive oil

Medium Hot 
2 Lbs. (1 Kilo) - Hot red peppers (Banana type)                 04 to 05 
1/2 Lbs ( 500 Grams) Red Sweet peppers
1 to 2 Tbs. - Kosher salt  
3 Tbsp. - Olive oil

Lower Hot                                                                           02 to 03 
2 Lbs. (1 Kilo) - Hot red peppers (Banana type)
3/4 Lbs ( 750 Grams) Red Sweet peppers
1 to 2 Tbs. - Kosher salt  
3 Tbsp. - Olive oil


Option 
1/2 Cup  - Lemon juice for each of the above.



For more information, please see video below. 



*********************************************************************************************************




Here in this recipe I have been making the sauce on a measurement of 2 Lbs. or 1 Kilo base of hot banana peppers. Now  the hotness is controlled by how much of the sweet peppers that we add to the hot base. 

Please DO NOT try to handle the hot peppers without some sort of glove protection. If you happen to get some in your eye, then please rinse it out under a water faucet with cold water for a couple of minutes, without rubbing you eye. 





Now, how about the seeds? Well,  I usually keep about 1/4 cup and add it to the sauce. In the video, I did not add them because it does make the sauce even hotter.  I did not want to make it that hot because I wanted it to be for the majority of the household to enjoy without it being too hot and spoiling the dish. 









Remember, like in my video the hot and sweet peppers have to go through a boiling process to break down the fibers. 











I make a lot and store it in my refrigerator and it should  be ready to use in about 3 to 7 days after it is made. 

I have this sauce to use up to 6 to 8 months, so it lasts a long time. Now if you store it that long, then give the sauce a stir in the jar every month or so. 








*********************************************************************************************************



Pimento Paste - Hot pepper base 
Video 






If You Liked This Recipe, Then You Will Love These Below.  
By: Cookingaround 



Hot Pepper Sauce  #2 - Spicy
Video



Spicy Fish Sauce
Video



Enchilada Sauce
Video





Please share with your Family and Friends, below: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...